Monthly Archives: August 2011

Access Tips: Watch out for case senstitive situations

I just spent like 2 hours trying to get a query with like 3 levels of sub-queries that I built in a sandbox with copied tables in Microsoft Access to work under a live ODBC linked connection with an Oracle database.

Guess what broke my query?

3 references to a user input form that were missing once capitalized letter.

Access Database on Shared Drive Opening as Read-Only

I had some issues with one user who was not able to open a Microsoft Access database on a shared drive.  The user would try to open the database, and it would only allow the user to use it as read only, which was not very useful.  Every other user was able to use the database with out any trouble.  There were no issues with permissions on any other databases on the shared drive or with any linked tables.

We were able to fix the issue by going into the permission for the database (Right Click -> Properties -> Security) and adding the user directly as an administrator to the database.  I have no idea why the user suddenly had issues accessing the database, as they had been using it on a daily basis for about a month with no issues.  Hopefully, this tip might save you some headache.